Car accidents between two regular-sized vehicles can cause severe injuries, but truck accidents can be even more devastating. If you were injured in an accident involving a semi-truck, your costs and bills could be covered by the responsible party through a personal injury claim. An East Point truck accident lawyer at Murphy Law Firm can help you by gathering evidence and building a case. You do not have to face a personal injury lawsuit alone. Contact our law firm in East Point today to set up a free case evaluation at (770) 949-6851.
Maximize your financial recovery.
Insurance companies are focused on preserving their bottom line. This means that they will try to resolve your claim by settling with you for the minimum amount possible. Even if you can prove the truck company’s liability for the collision, the insurance company will still try to reduce your settlement.
You need an attorney who can take on the insurance company’s legal team and give you a fair opportunity for justice. At Murphy Law Firm, our East Point truck accident lawyers will fight to get you the maximum settlement offer. You may be able to receive monetary payment for:
- Ambulance fees
- Medical expenses
- Emergency room care
- Lost wages
- Wrongful death damages
- Rehabilitative treatment
- Pain and suffering
- Long-term disability
- Mental distress
Truck accident claims are highly complex.
Commercial truck accident claims are more extensive and complicated than other motor vehicle accident cases.
Commercial trucking is an elaborate industry. Federal and state safety regulations and rules affect any legal claims involving trucking operations. If you were injured in a commercial truck accident, you need an East Point semi-truck accident attorney who understands the process.
A few of the complex factors include:
- Commercial insurance: According to East Point trucking regulations, truck companies must be covered by comprehensive commercial insurance policies. Commercial insurers are aggressive in conducting personal injury claims. They start planning a defense just moments after an accident and will use every tactic in the book to limit their own responsibility. Our East Point truck accident lawyers know how to handle these aggressive insurance carriers, and we will defend your rights. Do not talk to an insurance adjuster without talking to a personal injury lawyer first.
- Multiple defendants: Many different parties may be responsible for a commercial truck accident. Injured victims must examine every path to compensation. You may be able to bring a truck wreck claim against:
- The company leasing the truck
- The truck driver, the driver’s employer
- The company that produced the truck or trailer
- The company that loaded the truck
- A government entity
- A third-party driver
In some cases, more than one party may share liability for your injuries and damages.
- State/Federal safety regulations: If a trucking company violated any federal or state safety requirements, it must be held liable for any resulting collision. However, it is not always apparent when these violations happen. How do you know if the tractor-trailer driver was abiding by federal rest and break regulations? How do you know if the semi-truck had been accurately inspected? For most victims, this critical information is out of reach. This is why all truck collisions should be investigated by an experienced East Point truck accident lawyer. Your attorney will be able to evaluate the driver’s history, the company’s safety records, and its usual procedures to conclude which parties are liable. Never assume that the truck company is not liable or not at fault.
East Point truck accident claims: what is the statute of limitations?
Truck collision claims fall under a strict statute of limitations. According to Georgia law (Ga. Code Ann. Sec. 9-3-33), plaintiffs have two years from an accident date to take legal action or make a claim.
There are only a few exceptions to this law. If you do not file your claim within two years of your accident, your case will be dismissed. You need to take action as soon as you can after a truck accident. If a tractor-trailer collision injured you, contact an East Point truck accident lawyer right away to avoid going past the statute of limitations.
Lawyer tip: Don’t wait to claim. Time is of the essence. Please put your mind at ease and get in touch with us to start your case today for free.
P.S. It only takes one click to get started.
Remember, we are 100% transparent about our fees. Our payment is a percentage of the final settlement—nothing more.
East Point Truck Accident FAQ’s
What Should I Do if I am in an Accident with a Tractor-Trailer?
If you have been in an accident with a Semi-Truck, there are some steps that you may be able to take that can help you get through the experience smoothly.
First, call the Police: Calling 911 is necessary to make sure that everyone who needs medical treatment gets it, and it is a way to formally document the accident if you have to file a lawsuit.
East Point truck accidents regularly cause more severe injuries, resulting in larger settlement amounts. An accurate police report is a vital piece of evidence used to determine liability in your accident and ensure you get the settlement you deserve.
Second, Gather Evidence: If you can, you should gather as much evidence from the scene of the accident as possible. The crucial pieces of evidence you should try and include:
- Drivers Credentials
- License Plate and Serial Numbers
- Pictures of both vehicles and Injuries
- Witness Statements
- Police Report
Gathering the necessary evidence can strengthen your lawsuit, possibly leading to a higher monetary settlement.
Third, Contact a Personal Injury Attorney: Tractor-Trailer Accident Injury cases can become incredibly complicated because of the seriousness of injuries and the number of parties held responsible. Speaking with a lawyer right away can prevent you from making any mistakes that could negatively affect your case, ensure your legal rights are protected and increase your settlement amount.
I Keep Getting Calls From Insurance Companies – What should I Tell Them?
If an Insurance Company contacts you after your semi-truck collision, DO NOT SAY ANYTHING to them until after you have talked with an East Point Truck Accident Lawyer. Insurance companies intend to minimize the amount they have to pay out in a settlement due to a collision.
Anything that you say to the insurance company concerning your collision can be used to lower your compensation amount.
An experienced East Point, Georgia Truck Accident Lawyer, will let you know what you can and cannot say to the insurance company. Following your attorney’s instruction is necessary to protect your case.
What if My Truck Accident Was Months Ago?
It is true that the earlier you act, the better off you will be. However, just because you waited to act after a collision does not mean that all is lost.
All states have a Statute of limitations that gives a deadline for which a legal claim must be filed after a collision.
In Georgia, the statute of limitations gives two years from the time of the collision to file your claim. However, even though you are given a two-year timeframe, cases filed sooner are usually stronger and have larger awarded settlements.
Do Truck Drivers Have to Follow Different Rules on the Road?
Truck Drivers and Trucking Companies have strict guidelines that they must follow while driving. These regulations are written out in both Federal and State level mandates. If a Truck Driver or Company violates any of these guidelines, they may be fined or lose their license.
Some of these guidelines cover:
- Securing Loads
- Weight Limit
- Hours of Driving
- Drug Tests
- Physical Exams for Drivers
- Maintenance Schedule
If it is determined that the driver or truck company violated any of these regulations, it can mean a higher settlement when it comes to your truck accident compensation.
What are Common Causes of Truck Accidents?
An essential part of determining negligence is finding who is at fault, but you must first determine the accident’s cause. Common causes of trucking accidents include:
- Improperly Maintained Vehicles
- Tired or Fatigued Drivers
- Violate safety laws such as speeding, cutting off drivers, and making incorrect turns
- Unrealistic schedules
- Improperly loaded or overloaded trucks
- Unqualified truck drivers or lack of training
- Dangerous weather conditions
According to FMCSA reports, the most commonly cited cause of truck accidents is due to truck driver error. Drivers of semi-trucks are ten times more likely to cause trucking accidents than other factors, such as road conditions, weather, and vehicle performance. The FMCSA study also considered factors that cause truck drivers to make errors such as speeding, the use of prescription and over-the-counter drugs, fatigue, distractions, inattention, work environment, and unfamiliarity of the road.
How Much Does an East Point Truck Accident Lawyer Cost?
If you are involved in a truck collision, the type of lawyer you should hire is called a Personal Injury Attorney. These lawyers specialize in helping the victims of collisions caused by someone else’s negligence get financial compensation.
Thankfully, most of these attorneys work on what is called a Contingency Fee Basis. A Contingency Fee Basis means that you do not pay any charges upfront, and your lawyers only collect a small percentage of your final compensation after your case is settled.
At Murphy Law Firm, your first consultation and case evaluation is always free. We don’t think it’s right to make injured victims pay expensive fees for legal representation. If we don’t win money for you, we don’t get paid. Period.