If you or a loved one has sustained injury or death in a motorcycle accident, contact Murphy Law Firm and speak with an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer in Douglasville. Do not take an insurance company’s settlement offer without getting legal representation first! Our law firm has challenged insurance companies on behalf of countless motorcycle accident clients, and we want to make sure you get the max compensation for the injuries and losses you’ve endured.
If you have been hurt in a motorcycle accident, don’t wait to speak with one of the top-rated motorcycle accident lawyers in Douglasville. Call and schedule a free consultation today!
What Do I Do If I Or A Loved One Gets Into A Motorcycle Accident?
It is necessary to begin collecting as much information as possible as fast as possible after a motorcycle accident. Gather all the information you can on any other drivers involved in the accident and request contact information from any witnesses you can find. Take pictures of anything you think might relate to the accident. Call the police; however, if the police do not respond, make sure you submit an accident report. Unfortunately, insurance companies try to shift blame for motorcycle accidents onto the bikers; this is why you need to secure an official record by filing a police report.
Of course, your priority in the aftermath of a motorcycle accident is to get immediate medical help for anyone who may be injured. Call the police and request an ambulance if you are hurt or see anyone else who is injured.
As the insurance company goes to work on your case, you need to secure representation by a motorcycle accident lawyer in Douglasville as fast as possible. Don’t give a recorded statement to any insurance companies without soliciting legal counsel first. Resolving your claim in your favor will mean contacting any insurance companies involved, but you have the right to legal representation during the entire process. Having an experienced motorcycle attorney on your side will help protect you from saying anything that could be used against you.
Tips for Dealing with Insurance Companies After a Motorcycle Crash in Douglasville
If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle crash, it is essential to remember that the insurance company is not on your side. Like any business, the insurance company is out to make themselves money, despite what their commercials might say. They will look for any reason to reject your case or try to get you to take a settlement for as little money as possible.
It is crucial to have an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer in Douglasville on your side to help guide you through the claims process. It is also critical to remember the following tips for dealing with your insurer:
- Recognize that the insurance representative is not your friend. While insurance claims representatives may seem helpful and may act like they are interested in your wellbeing, it is necessary to remember that they have a job to do. That job is to protect the company’s bottom line, not to take care of you and your family. There usually is a notable gap between what you deserve and what the company wants to pay you. That’s why it is good to approach every conversation with insurance company agents with caution.
- Never negotiate alone. Insurance agents want you to handle settlements without a lawyer. Injured persons are usually desperate for help in their time of need, and the insurance agents know that. The quicker they can get you to settle, the better for them. For this reason, never negotiate alone behind closed doors or sign any legal document without the benefit of advice from your attorney.
- Never give recorded statements. You may be asked to provide a statement recorded by the adjuster or the insurer’s attorney. These recorded statements are regularly designed to hurt your case and prove your fault in the accident. Politely refuse, and let your lawyer do the talking for you.
- If possible, avoid them altogether. You’re under no obligation to do anything except report the collision to your insurance company. Retaining a lawyer for every action expected to follow is well within your legal rights. Insurance agents may try to make you believe an attorney is powerless to negotiate your settlement, but that’s not true. There is no better supporter an injured person could ask for than an experienced motorcycle accident attorney in Douglasville.
What Makes Motorcycle Accidents Different From Other Types of Accidents?
When you’re driving a motorcycle, there’s barely anything at all between you and the road. Most of the time, this makes biking alluring and exciting. However, when things go wrong, it means that injuries and deaths are more likely for bikers than other road-users.
There are fewer than 9 million motorcycles on the nation’s roads, but motorcycle accidents still make up 13% of all road accident deaths. Cars and trucks have the space to include various safety features, but bikers still have to depend on clothing and helmets to protect themselves. Motorcyclists also face a higher risk from dangerous road conditions, as having just two wheels makes the loss of control more likely.
Because of the high speed and force involved in motorcycle accidents and the minimal protection offered to passengers and riders, severe injuries to the neck or head are sadly common.
What Causes Motorcycle Accidents?
Motorcycle accidents happen for various reasons. Some accidents are the result of unavoidable dangers or roadway conditions. The fact remains, however, that preventable factors cause the majority of motorcycle accidents. Some estimates state that as many as 75% of motorcycle accidents are collisions with cars, and the car driver was at fault.
The most common causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Drunk or intoxicated driving
- Distracted driving
- Drivers ignoring or neglecting to look for motorcycles
- Road hazards
- Vehicles with faulty lights, brakes, or mirrors
- Unexpected pedestrians near or in the road
These are just a few examples of common factors that can cause motorcycle accidents.
Who Can Be Taken To Court After A Motorcycle Accident?
When a motorcycle accident involves another vehicle, the at-fault driver and his or her insurance company are responsible for the damages. Proof of fault is vital in motorcycle accident cases. Murphy Law Firm is accustomed to investigating motorcycle accidents on our initiative to make your case as strong as possible. Georgia law states that as long as your share of fault for the accident is less than 50%, you are entitled to recover monetary damages for the following:
- Pain and Suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Vehicle repair or replacement costs
When it comes to deciding fault, bear in mind that motorcycle riders have responsibilities mandated by Georgia’s laws:
- The motorcycle driver must be licensed to operate the vehicle.
- All passengers and drivers must be wearing helmets.
- The motorcycle must have taillights and headlights that work.
- Motorcycles cannot weave between traffic or “lane-split.”
What If I Was In A One-Vehicle Motorcycle Accident?
We urge you to seek legal advice, even if your motorcycle was the only vehicle involved in the accident. Various factors could have caused your wreck. Examples include poor road design, road defects such as potholes, malfunctioning traffic lights, hidden signage, and more.
What If I Wasn’t Wearing A Helmet During My Motorcycle Accident in Douglasville?
As long as the accident was not your fault, you may still be able to sue for damages.
What Should I Do If I Was Injured As A Motorcycle Passenger?
You may have the right to file a legal claim if you were a motorcycle passenger in an accident. Because you were not driving, indeed, you were neither the cause of or at fault for the accident.
Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Because motorcyclists are more exposed to the road’s hazards, the wounds they sustain are often severe or life-threatening. The most common injuries sustained by motorcycle riders include:
- Broken bones: If your body hits against an object or surface during a crash, you are at risk of bone breaks or fractures.
- Road rash: Sliding across pavement or other surfaces with little between you and the road can leave severe cuts, scrapes, and bruises. These wounds can cause life-long damage.
- Head injuries: Even while wearing a helmet, your skull and brain are vulnerable to damage in a motorcycle accident.
While protective clothing and helmets can help decrease the risk of some of these injuries, severe collisions with other vehicles can exceed these protective measures.
Is There A Time Limit On Filing My Claim In Douglasville?
You only have a limited amount of time to file a claim after a motorcycle accident in Douglasville. Georgia law typically gives two years from the accident date to file a claim, but particular circumstances may require a shorter statute of limitations. If you are filing a lawsuit against a government body, you will have less time. Filing a claim quickly is in your favor because, over time, it becomes more challenging to prove what happened in your collision. The sooner you put an experienced lawyer to work on your behalf, the greater the assurance you give yourself.
How Can a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Douglasville Help?
Most motorcycle accident victims do not have the required resources, time, or experience to take on an insurance company alone. There’s an acquired way to speak to insurance adjusters using language they will easily understand. This approach takes years to develop and refine, which is why hiring an experienced motorcycle accident attorney is the most reliable method of defending accident claims.
Motorcycle accident lawyers in Douglasville, like those at Murphy Law Firm, are thoroughly experienced in insurance law. They know how the insurer’s agents and their attorney will address the case. Having this understanding allows discussions to go much smoother than if an insurer calls the motorcycle victim and outright denies their claim or offers them a very low settlement to get them to go away.
Other reasons why motorcycle accident lawyers are skilled at handling these cases more than the average person include:
- Attorneys can subpoena information related to your collision much quicker than non-attorney litigants.
- Lawyers are aware of deadlines, when and why motions need to be filed, what statute of limitations applies to your case and all motorcycle safety laws. They are sufficiently equipped to advise on issues where falsifications by the at-fault party are inappropriate at best.
If those reasons aren’t compelling enough, remember that motorcycle accident attorneys and their respective firms foot the entire bill, including paying their staff, filing fees, and any extra bills that may relate to your case — and charge you nothing if you lose. For many people, this is reason enough to obtain legal help after a motorcycle accident.
Free Case Review: Schedule A Meeting With Our Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Douglasville
Get in touch with our Douglasville motorcycle accident lawyer at Murphy Law Firm after any motorcycle accident. We are ready to extend the full value of our motorcycle accident experience to protect you and help you secure maximum compensation. We stand behind our work at Murphy Law Firm, and we believe our results speak for themselves. Call us today at 770-577-3020 and ask to schedule a free case evaluation.