What Happens at the Consultation With the Personal Injury Attorney?
When I consult with you about a personal injury claim, the first few things we will discuss are:
- WHO (whether it be another person or entity) has caused you to be injured?
- HOW you were injured?
- WHERE did the accident occur?
- WAS the injury a physical injury or an emotional injury? Please note that we only take cases where a physical injury is involved.
- IS there an accident or incident report (made by the police or business involved)?
You may not know all the information yourself, but it is important that I ask you questions about what you do know.
If you were involved in a car accident, there is often a police report that describes what has happened from the police officer’s perspective. The police report can be a very important source of information, as it usually gives a great deal of information about the driver, such as driver’s license information, automobile insurance, address, etc. I will usually ask you to bring in the police report with you when you first come in to discuss the representation. If you do not have the report, we can usually get it off the internet at websites such as www.buycrash.com.
During the initial interview, I will usually ask:
- Did you go to the hospital?
- Did you talk to an emergency room doctor or nurse?
- What did the doctor or nurse say about following up with medical treatment?
- Did they recommend that you see an orthopedic doctor, neurologist, chiropractor, or some other health professional?
- Do you need a referral?
- Have you followed up with another health care professional? If not, why not?
- Do you have health insurance?
- Is there some reason why you are not following up medically?
It’s so important to fully document your injuries as it relates to a car accident. It’s also important to try to complete your treatment before trying to settle your personal injury case. It’s also important to explain to you what a personal injury attorney can do for you to help you with your case. I have written a book that explains in more detail what I do as a personal injury attorney to help you with your case. Sometimes, people are surprised to see how much work the personal injury attorney actually does to help you with your case.